PSP in one of the eight medical specialty societies recognized by the Philippine Medical Association. It is presently compose of 600 members with its own office building at 114 Malakas Streeet, Diliman, Quezon City.
The PSP was established with the following major purpose and objectives.
- To promote the practice of pathology by stimulating better appreciation and proper evaluation of laboratory services among physicians, hospitals and the public in general.
- To prescribe standards in the laboratory procedures, techniques and management
- To foster and maintain the highest standards in education, research and practice of pathology.
- To unify the pathologists in the Philippine into one cohesive and productive organization
- To promote the welfare of the members of the society
- To determine the competence of those desiring to practice this specialty and its subspecialties
- To established cordial relationships among the members of this society and other national and international scientific societies